Greeks always serve a salad with meals.The following recipe is the classic Greek salad featuring feta cheese.
1 head iceberg or romaine lettuce
2 tomatoes, quartered, or 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
1 green pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into strips
5 scallions, thinly sliced
1 c. (about 6 oz.) feta cheese, broken into chunks
12 to 16 black Greek olives
1. Tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in a large salad bowl.
2. Add tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, scallions, feta cheese, and olives.
3. Pour dressing (recipe follows) over salad and toss.
4. Serve on chilled salad plates.
2 tbsp. red-wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, finely chopped ø tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. oregano
6 c. olive oil*
1. Whisk together all ingredients except olive oil.
2. Slowly add the olive oil, whisking constantly.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
*Use less olive oil for a dressing that is lower in fat.